Bavarian State Collection for Palaeontology and Geology
Bayerische Staatssammlung für Paläontologie und Geologie (BSPG)
Director: Prof. Dr. Gert Wörheide
Deputy Director: PD Dr. Mike Reich
Corresponding to one of the core functions of our institution founded in 1843, the scientific staff of the Bavarian State Collection for Palaeontology and Geology (BSPG) has been engaged in special research topics of invertebrate and vertebrate paleontology, paleobotany and micropaleontology, and geology for more than 100 years. Our current academic staff consists of one conservator and six conservators/curators who, in addition to their work for our institution, also study a variety of different research topics. Much of this research focuses on fossils (and present-day organisms) from Bavaria, Europe, South- and North-America, Asia, the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.
The current research at the BSPG is related to different paleontological, geobiological and zoological topics; the most important ones are in detail:
- Paleoecology, fauna & flora, sedimentology, and genesis of Paleozoic, Mesozoic, and Cenozoic ecosystems and fossil deposits
- Mesozoic mosses, ferns and gymnosperms
- Evolution, systematics and taxonomy of the gastropods
- Paleobiology, systematics and evolution of free-moving echinoderms
- Systematics and paleoecology of reef-building organisms and calcareous algae (middle Paleozoic, Mesozoic)
- Evolution of Saurischia (theropods (except birds) and sauropodomorph dinosaurs)
- Phylogeny of deer and other extinct ruminants
- Diversity of fossil faunas and floras of Bavaria
- History of science (especially paleontology, geology and zoology)
The BSPG enjoys a high reputation worldwide due to the outstanding achievements of its researchers, as well as the national and international importance of its collections and publications. The BSPG is affiliated with the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences (Chair of Paleontology & Geobiology) of the LMU. Several staff members of the BSPG therefore also hold lectures and supervise qualification theses (BSc, MSc, PhD).
Palaeontological Museum Munich and Geological Museum Munich
The Palaeontological Museum Munich (Palaeontologisches Museum München) and the Geological Museum Munich (Geologisches Museum München) represent the publicly accessible parts of the Bavarian State Collection for Palaeontology and Geology.
Tel: +49 (0)89 2180 6630
Fax: +49 (0)89 2180 6601